Because this man Jesus, this is indeed the Savior of the world.. You can also subscribe without commenting. But usually our problem is to know how do to do it. And Jesus knows it. Your email address will not be published. While he wasthere he heard an audible voice, which said: You have come to the wrong place. He realized this is indeed the Lord Jesus speaking to him. He always has thousands of purposes in everything he does. Sure, there is a risk involved. Yes, Maam, I am superior to Jacob. But we will all rejoice together. Jesus is as committed to you and your salvation as he was to the Samaritan woman. My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, All rights reserved worldwide. Behold, I freely give 4 But He needed to go through Samaria. Sermon Notes: Why the Lord is my Shepherd? 3. It was so exciting that she left her water jar there at the well and went back to the town and started telling people about what had happened. WebFred B. Craddock is professor of preaching and New Testament at Candler School of Theology in Atlanta. There is no safe fence to sit on. God accepts the Samaritan womanGod accepts you and meonly because of this man at the well. WebAlthough Jesus was tired and thirsty, He was more focused on sharing His living water with her. 2:13 (NIV) My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water. Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman? For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. The only man that would stay with her was one who would not marry her. We named four possible purposes for why Jesus left Judea and headed for Galilee. Jesus tells her, If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, Give me a drink, you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water. The woman is confused; shes thinking merely of H2O: Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. The living water that Jesus gives is new life in the Spirit. What you have said is true.. We are learning that Jesus Christ was God living here in a human body, fully God and fully man. Now as they were gathered by the well, Jesus turned their attention to the town on the hill. A. And their religious identity would be eroded also. . You cant be asking me to use the same bucket. To feel the force of what Jesus did in verses 68, it might help to compare it to the racial situation in my hometown fifty years ago. Friendships will not be deep and intimate that do not nurture the spirit as well. About 400 BC the Samarians erected a rival temple on Mount Gerizim. And her witness to her townspeople resulted in their conversion as well. Like the Syrophoenician woman in Mark 7, this Samaritan woman pushes Jesus to the point that he declares that God will welcome all who worship God in spirit and truth. Her final rejoinder, When he [Messiah] comes, he will proclaim all things to us, opens up the space for Many references in the Bible to water do not mean H2O, but refer to the Word of God or salvation. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.. Nicodemus was male, a Jew, educated, and Now Jesus abruptly seemed to change the subject. The gift he gave was so great that it There are needs people can meet, and there are needs only God can meet and we should know the difference. We are introduced to two types of transformation. The story of the nameless Samaritan woman at the well, recorded only in the Gospel of John, is a revealing one, full of many truths and powerful lessons for us today. The story of the woman at the well follows on the heels of the account of Jesus interaction with Nicodemus, a Pharisee and prominent member of the Jewish Sanhedrin ( John 3:121 ). The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. These are breathtaking words. The Book of John Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones This will often happen when we try to share our faith. Jesus said: I have new birth for you (living water), and he said, Where is a womans womb big enough for me to crawl into? She says, You have living water for me (new birth); wheres your bucket? This is a picture of us. But we must gather them in. Where do you get that living water? She doesnt see yet. Their religious beliefs and practices were in need of correction. And my well is superior. This the only time before His trial that Jesus stated this so clearly. Insider/Outsider. Related Topics: Christology, Evangelism, Soteriology (Salvation), Women, Mrs. Vickie Kraft, a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, served as Minister to Women at Northwest Bible Church in Dallas for over 13 years. The world needs a greater deliverance than that from political or economic oppression. And you yourself may have doubts and uncertainties in your faith. Work in cooperation with the Holy Spirit to transform your life. Come and drink. promises about a Savior coming from the Jewish people were true. Nicodemus is a person of reputation. In our day, in our crazy, decadent culture, this might not seem like such a big deal. 39Many of the Samaritans from that town(AK) believed in him because of the womans testimony, He told me everything I ever did.(AL) 40So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. Thats why God forgives us and accepts us. Save 15% on BibleGateway+ with code SPRINGSTUDY15. 4Now he had to go through Samaria. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Fourth, as a supplement to those three reasons for leaving, Jesus may have felt a divine impulse to go to Galilee by way of Samaria, because God planned a divine appointment there. Your email address will not be published. The disciples returned and were surprised that He was talking to the Samaritan woman. This is total self revelation. And one of the first things we experience in this bright light is that without him we are like four-year-olds trying to understand the meaning of marriage with all of its intimacies. And this woman at the well was one of them. He spoke to an adulteress. That well was right there next to them, so it was a handy way to move from physical thirst to spiritual thirst, and to move from H2O to the living water that Jesus provides. Where do you look to quench your thirst? Jesus accepts you. Third, he sat on the well to be fully conspicuous and unavoidable. Jesus stayed with these Samaritans for 2 more days at their request. The disciples go into town to look for some food, while Jesus remains at the well and gets some rest. She believed him and he quenched her thirst for a secure relationship with a Person, a heavenly Father who would love her unconditionally forever. Only an encounter with God can reignite the fire within us. You see, Jesus not only accepted the Samaritan woman, he did something much more. There is a lesson for us here. Are you thirsty? He spoke and did not remain silent. It would be a great encouragement to me and a contribution to the edification of the Church. And every one of those four purposes is a gracious purpose. . Can you imagine what her self image was. To drink is another way of saying, to believe.. But his hour was not yet come. Were on a mission to change that. (Omniscience) He accepted her just as she was. He asked for a drink. So he leaves. The living water; thirsty one, He knows the real me. (N) 20Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain,(O) but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.(P), 21Woman, Jesus replied, believe me, a time is coming(Q) when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. Friendships and love grow as we reveal ourselves, accept and trust each other and challenge each other. This should And from his fullness we we proud, angry, critical, lustful, greedy, worldly, lazy, fearful, unrelational have all received, grace upon grace.. Now, as chapter 4 begins, we are told that Jesus left Judea in the South and headed for Galilee in the North and that he went through Samaria. Jesus accepted the woman even though she was a Samaritan whose racial heritage was mixed. The pagan influence would have a negative effect on the beliefs and practices of a people who were already off the beam, religiously. Her testimony then led others to believe, to receive that same gift of God. Theres no hiding things from him. WebTikTok video from Glasford UMC (@glasfordumc): "Part 4 of todays sermon on the Samaritan woman at the well from John 4. . And its a well-known story in another sense also, because its a story thats known for taking place at a well. Your feedback is very important to us. Just like Nicodemus! But in most cultures, for most of human history, these things were looked down upon as shameful. And its for you, you who are thirsty and know your need. Verse 15: The woman said to him, Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water. Id like that water because this bucket is heavy. . Do we believe or reject Him when He promises to guide us concerning our future? The woman replies, Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water. Perhaps shes beginning to get a clue about where Jesus is going with this. Lutheran Liturgical Congregations Listing, Return/Turn to the Lord: Ruth, Luke 17, Psalm 111, and The Fear of the Lord, GiveawayPleasantly Crafted Lutheran Coloring Sheets, Giveaway! But do you realize that we who have trusted Him already must make the same choice daily? He gives you what he gave that woman at the well: living water. God sent Jesus. This will save us from unrealistic expectations and constant disappointment. In Walgreens and Kresses and Woolworths, there were two water fountains on the wall with signs over them: White and Colored. You can scarcely imagine anything more demeaning than to build your entire plumbing system around the unwillingness to drink from the same fountain. (John 15:14, NIV). No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord (John 10:18). Thats what well find out this morning as we consider the case of The Samaritan Woman: A Well-Known Story.. Most people in the world have no experience of lasting joy in their lives. the Spirit came upon people to enable them to accomplish specific tasks, then He could leave. Verse 11: The woman said to him, Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. (AA) Could this be the Messiah?(AB) 30They came out of the town and made their way toward him. And Im able to do it well enough so that there are people who do accept mewell, sorta, or at least they put up with me. 4 Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John 2 (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), 3 He left Judea and departed again to Galilee. He sought to be alone in Samaria. He tells us here, as he told them, that we all are to be working at gathering in a crop for eternal life. She ministered to so many over the years, encouraged so many to keep moving forward. Thats what this well scene means. This is Johns version of the prodigal son (Luke 15) only here it is a prodigal daughter. Wealth, beauty, art, education, power, pleasure, career, even marriage all are finally meaningless in the effort to find the essential values of life, to find personal fulfillment, to quench our thirst. Night/High Noon. a spring of water welling up to eternal life.). She had a jar, He did not. She had two choices: faith or rejection. The Samaritan woman didnt meet Jesus on a Shabbat or in a building dedicated to carrying out religious activities. It is gracious that he cares that John is not publicly discredited more than necessary. Maybe youve done something to bring some shame upon yourself. But now He lives permanently in each one of us who belong to Jesus. Using Jesuss encounter with the Samaritan woman (recorded in chapter 4) and his previous encounter with Nicodemus (recorded in chapter 3), John presents fundamental and profound spiritual truths, and yet the Samaritan woman and Nicodemus could not be more different from each other. And so the Samaritans had gotten off track from the accepted norm. They are ripe for harvest. 4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John 2 although in fact it was 9 The Samaritan woman said Jesus himself would remove her guilt from her. Jesus said to her, Give Me a drink. For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. It was just another If you drink it, you never thirst again that is, its always there to satisfy you when your longing soul is thirsty (verse 14: Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again). This is graciously relational. If you do the fire it ignited within you will die. The disciples had gone into the town and only brought back bread. Cannot you hear her thinking: Would not it be wonderful to never have to come to the well again, never to run the risk of woman gossiping about her. Web(John 4:21-24) The woman didnt get it. Jesus speaks the very words of God. Jesus is pursuing this unacceptable relationship. She doesnt taste it. 38I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Yes, he does! I heard the voice of Jesus say, For those who love him and are called according to his purpose, all of them all of them! WebJesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman 4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John ( A ) 2 although in fact it 24God is spirit,(W) and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth., 25The woman said, I know that Messiah (called Christ)(X) is coming. That is why this is important. People look in many placessex, alcohol, drugs, a new boat, a bigger housealways trying to satisfy their thirst, but nothing ever seems to fill the bill. Jesus accepts you. And it is gracious that he feels constrained to keep a divine appointment in Samaria with a serial adulteress. Stoop down and drink and live. And whats more, Jesus accepted her even though she had led a sinful, immoral life. He revealed the invisible God, our heavenly Father to us in His words, attitudes and actions. It just wasnt done. You may be the one who built the fountains fifty years ago, or tried to shoot Jews last week in the Holocaust Museum in Washington, or you may be the ever-targeted Jewish person, or the one forced to drink from the other fountain but at this moment, in this text, God, in Jesus, means for you to feel graciously pursued. He immediately left that temple and a few days later joined a church in his neighborhood. 41And because of his words many more became believers. I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! I seek to foster thoughtful and respectful dialogue. It is wise to reveal ourselves gradually depending on the persons response, just as Jesus did. Jesus spoke of the complete satisfaction that comes from doing what God wants us to do. . B.) The main relationship not the only one in this story is the relationship between Jesus and the woman at the well in Samaria. Sound familiar? Lets listen in on the conversation. And with his divine insight, he lets her know that he knows: Jesus asks her to go call her husband. So dont short-circuit the wonderful work of Jesus, for you and in you, by failing to see clearly how woeful your condition is without him. ), 9The Samaritan woman said to him, You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan(G) woman. Scripture passage and lesson focus: John 4:25-42. She was literal. C. An authentic encounter will always be followed by individual transformation as well as a transformation of ones community. The Cross And Our Response to Trials (1 Peter 4:12-19), 8. 2. Jesus asks her for a drink and engages her in conversation. Theres plenty of living water to go around. First, it may be a matter of timing. He used terms that had deep spiritual significance. But people want to know the real you. But its useless unless it transforms you within. Jesus was. She was someone none of us would want to represent us. And not only did he accept her, he pointed her in the right direction, in the direction of the truth, the Truth who was sitting right there in front of her: Jesus himself, the one who is the way, the truth, and the life. Jesus is that salvation come from the Jews. The reason the Bible tells us woeful news about ourselves is to make the greatness of grace and the greatness of salvation feel as wonderful as it really is. It is a well-known story, and its found in the Holy Gospel for today, from John chapter 4. Editors Note: This article is the lightly edited manuscript for the accompanying audio message that Vickie delivered. WebJohn 4:7 Easy-to-Read Version 7 A Samaritan woman came to the well to get some water, and Jesus said to her, Please give me a drink. Read full chapter John 4:7 in all English translations John 3 John 5 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) Copyright 2006 by Bible League International Bible Gateway Recommends The Samaritan woman bounced from man to man, trying to find meaning and satisfaction in her life. He wants to be our Friend as well as our Father. Maybe Jesus even told them He would die for the sins of the world and rise again from the dead and they believed in Him. Why? All Rights Reserved. It was just another ordinary and busy day in which she carried out her routine household duties. John 4:5 And so when the disciples come back later, and they see this happening, theyre a little surprised, if not shocked. Third, Jesus may have seen that the Pharisees would have simply discredited both movements, his and Johns because they were just splintered groups with no stable foundation. E. An encounter is a glorious experience. Confronting her issues with the opposite sex was the turning point of the encounter. He revealed something about God that is nowhere else stated so clearly in the NT. God gives him the Spirit immeasurably and always has. And he had to pass through Samaria. as their scriptures, they did not know the other prophecies about Messiah. The southern kingdom became known as Judah, with the palace of the Davidic kings and the temple of the Lord remaining in Jerusalem. Are you a sinner? They marveled that he was talking with a woman. So that was strike one against Jesus having a conversation with her: She was a woman. You see, this woman had to trust Him before she could receive His gift. Isa 44:3; 55:1; Jer 2:13; 17:13; Zec 14:8; Jn 7:37, 38; Rev 7:17; 21:6; 22:1, 17, Da 4:2, 3; S Jn 2:11; Ac 2:43; 14:3; Ro 15:19; 2Co 12:12; Heb 2:4, NIV, Verse Mapping Bible, Comfort Print: Find Connections in Scripture Using a Unique 5-Step Process, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NIV, Beautiful Word Bible Journal, Galatians, Paperback, Comfort Print, NIV, Biblical Theology Study Bible, Comfort Print: Follow Gods Redemptive Plan as It Unfolds throughout Scripture, NIV, The Woman's Study Bible, Full-Color, Red Letter: Receiving God's Truth for Balance, Hope, and Transformation, NIV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People. Lutheran Liturgical Congregations Listing, Return/Turn to the Lord: Ruth, Luke 17, Psalm 111, and The Fear of the Lord, GiveawayPleasantly Crafted Lutheran Coloring Sheets, Giveaway! He was tired, hungry, and thirsty, a clear indication of his humanity. The story of the nameless Samaritan woman at the well, recorded only in the Gospel of John, is a revealing one, full of many truths and powerful lessons for us And thats what this story is mainly about not us, but him! Please read and accept our website Terms and Privacy Policy to post a comment. He is author of. This water gives eternal life (verse 14: . Actually, there are thousands. 9. This was a deliberate choice other Jews never made. (AG) 36Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests(AH) a crop for eternal life,(AI) so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Second, he may have left because the Pharisees may have used this popularity of Jesus to discredit John. But you may not have till next week. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. Eternal life. John 4 represents the founding narrative for the presence of a considerable number of Samaritans in the Johannine community. And this week and next week (Lord willing), we will see how relentlessly gracious this relationship is. In his encounter with the Samaritan woman, we see very clearly that Christ accepted her. WebJohn 4:7 There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. But he did so without compromising the truth. Sermon Series: How to discern Gods will. It makes it easy for us to forget that Samaritans and Jews did not get along well in the time of Jesus. What would her response be? Jesus wanted to satisfy the thirst of her soul. The holy Son of God shed his blood for us. And rightly so. And the sign over it said, Colored Samaritan. Verses 68 say, Jacobs well was there; so Jesus, wearied as he was from his journey, was sitting beside the well [literally, on the well]. The first step towards recognition of a need for salvation is for a person to acknowledge that she is a sinner. B. For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.. And they believed also. Notice how Jesus responded to her question. 47When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea,(AR) he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death. We can try to answer those questions if they are answerable, but do not let them get us off point. . If this is the case, then Ive got good news for you today. No human being, no matter how wonderful can fill the place meant only for God. The northern tribes, however, the ones that broke off, set up a new capital with a new king, not of the Davidic line, in the city of Samaria. Who was He? Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. But Jesus went through Samaria because there was someone He had to see there. WebJesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman. You obviously are a prophet sent from God, so you must know. But Jesus doesnt send her to either place. 44(Now Jesus himself had pointed out that a prophet has no honor in his own country. C. The fact that encounters can get very uncomfortable sometimes because they convict us of our own sinfulness and our need for a savior. Then when they see that we really are different, they will want what we have and we can share Christ with them. Jesus was known for being the friend of sinners. 1. Theyve been on the road for some hours now, its midday, and theyre tired and hungry. In this exchange Jesus introduces a dimension to friendship we cannot ignore. New International Version (NIV). And she had had five marriages before that, all of which apparently had failed. He did this by being attentive about what Thats why you never get thirsty again not because one drink is enough, but because one true drink produces a well for an eternity of drinks. Even though you belong to a church that teaches the gospel in its truth and purity, perhaps some of your personal religious beliefs and practices need some correction and strengthening. Do you bring your own load of guilt before God? We know that this is a command for all Christians in each successive generation. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Whether you have one, two, or three strikes against you, Jesus wants to talk to you today, just like he talked to the Samaritan woman at the well. I came to Jesus, and I drank If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at [email protected]. 48Unless you people see signs and wonders,(AS) Jesus told him, you will never believe., 49The royal official said, Sir, come down before my child dies., 50Go, Jesus replied, your son will live., The man took Jesus at his word and departed. Unable to see the glory of the only Son of God. Detail from Polish painter Henryk Siemiradzki, 'Christ and the Samaritan Woman' (1890) 106.5x184 cm, Lviv National Art Gallery, Ukraine. A tired Jesus is sitting at the well, waiting for the disciples, when a woman appears. That thirst we were all born with. This was remarkable in a day when the rabbis taught that to teach a woman spiritual truth was like teaching a dog; that it was better to burn the Scriptures than to teach a woman. Not for permission to get a drink, but for a drink from her bucket. Jesus was very honest with her. Like you didnt belong? So we have ethnic, racial, and religious issues here that made Jews feel disdain for Samaritans. 4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John 2 although in fact it was She answers, dodgingly, and says simply, I have no husband. But Jesus knows why this line of conversation makes her uncomfortable. He wants to use us to bring others into his family. Sitting here by the well, Jesus was tired and thirsty at about the sixth hour. Talk about an encounter! What was the gift? Do we believe or reject Him when He warns us that the love of money is the root of every kind of evil? Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again. WebJohn 4 King James Version 4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, 2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,) 3 He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee. Here is Don Carsons description of the situation: After the Assyrians captured Samaria [the capital of the Northern kingdom of Israel] in 72221 BC, they deported all the Israelites of substance and settled the land with foreigners, who intermarried with the surviving Israelites and adhered to some form of their ancient religion (2 Kings 1718). By the way, going to Bible class will help with that. He accepted the Samaritan woman, in spite of her faulty theology that needed correction. And he accepts her. Its the gift of God (verse 10: If you knew the gift of God). A. You and I have received such a wonderful gift from God that we want to tell others about it and share it with them, too. 43After the two days(AN) he left for Galilee.
Nerve Gear Beta Testing Sign Up, Anne Arundel County Executive Election 2022, Articles S