Sharp planned a large zone of high rise condos north of Sharpstown mall, but only 3 towers were built and there is still really nothing to compare to them outside of the loop and uptown. These shifts in the higher end retail environment have left Sharpstown, and similar centers, behind. Man those were great times. This shoe-shaped (and -sized) dishwhich takes its name from huaraches, or sandalswas first served at a food stand in Mexico City in the 1930s. [21] The property would include an 83,000 square feet (7,700m2) "mercado" (marketplace) that would have many smaller businesses, a large family lounge, live entertainment stages, and a children's play area. I used to go there every week for asthma treatment. It is also home to 120 retail stores and restaurants, a department store, and a food court founded in 1995 which is perfect for family dining. The man in "station 7" is wearing an Arco shirt. that much of the commercial properties and apartments could be bulldozed and redeveloped. Lucio Vasquez is a newscast producer at Houston Public Media, NPRs affiliate station in Houston, Texas. By 2001, the mall was seized in a foreclosure, and Travelers Insurance took ownership of the mall, whose JCPenney anchor space remained vacant when it was announced that Montgomery Ward would close all its locations, including the Sharpstown store, as part of its liquidation process. I met a person attending SHS in year 2000. In 2002, the mall was sold to a new owner who renamed it Sharpstown Center. I could be completely wrong, but I'm just pondering out loud. So many great memories. During the heights of video arcadom, the mall had two of them, the one by JC Pennys and the on in the food court. You know a meal is going to be good when it begins with what look like homemade jugs of tej, sweet, slightly fizzy Ethiopian honey wine. Route 59 and Bellaire Boulevard. I've been so busy with my new job (project managing luxury home construction and loving it) that I haven't been able to visit much. Thanks for pointing me back to this site! Finally, Sharpstown also had to compete with a redeveloped Meyerland Plaza, whose remodeled JCPenney location would serve as an anchor for the reborn shopping center. I'm sure a lot of people in Oak Forest, for example, are there not because they were jumping up & down to live in Oak Forest, but b/c their first choice areas such as Garden Oaks & Heights didn't offer acceptable homes in their price ranges, or maybe they were out of their price range altogether. You may want to check out the Southwest Freeway section of the Houston Freeways book. I, too could have been in that Clock pic (but was probably at Gene's Model shop!!). Generous parrillada platters, crave-worthy, spicy salsas, and a quick-and-easy drive-thru have made the restaurant a dependable favorite in southwest Houston for years. The area is too convenient to 59 to remain in decline forever. I have to admit that felt awesome that we were still talked about! The mall is located on the northwest corner of Interstate 69/U.S. A neighborhood staple since the area was anchored by the still-new Sharpstown Mall, this friendly taqueria has even retained the same colorful dcor over the decades. There is a proposal for a retractable-roof mall in Phoenix AZ. 509 Olive Way, Suite 305, Seattle, WA 98101Phone: 713-862-4570 Fax: 713-862-4606, By On the east side of 59, there was a doctor's office on DeMoss. Class of '83 ROCKS! It was built in Sharpstown Industrial Park Section 12.[3]. Anyway, before that it was something else. WebSharpstown Sections 1, 1A, 2, 3, and 5 form the original sections of Sharpstown. We like it best inside a cheese-fattened pupusa with a mound of crunchy, tart curtidopickled cabbage and carrotson the side. 509 Olive Way, Suite 305, Seattle, WA 98101, Greater Sharpstown has evolved over the years, Daves Hot Chicken Has The Best of Both Worlds, Celebrity-Backed Chicken Spot Opens in the Houston Area, The Wide World of International Spicy Cuisine, What We're Ordering Out This Week: Falling Back in Love with Ethiopian Food. Below the Waterlines: Houston After Hurricane Harvey, Seven Houston police officers involved in deadly shootout after car chase, chief says, Lawsuit filed against Harris County deputy who shot and killed an unarmed Black man in 2018, Alleged carjacker shot by police after running over one man and stabbing another, HPD says, Officers in Nicolas Chavez shooting reinstated, the week in politics, and tax prep advice (March 16, 2022), Houston-area schools scrap field trips to see James and the Giant Peach over concerns about cross-gender casting at Main Street Theater, Galveston ISD superintendent criticized for gender-related comments during groundbreaking ceremony, Corpus Christi-area man accused of murder over $40 parking dispute near Downtown Houston, MS 150 Bike Ride in Houston will span 100 miles to College Station, BTB Savage murder: Man arrested, accused of fatally shooting San Antonio rapper in Houston, Supreme Court allows Texas death row inmate to pursue DNA testing of clothes, murder weapon, Massive seaweed blob unlikely to majorly affect Galveston, other Texas beaches, researcher says, Harris County law enforcement will soon be responsible for drug testing before they can arrest low-level drug offenders, DA's office says, Harris County officials devote nearly $5 million to help incarcerated women reenter society. Copyright 2020 by KPRC Click2Houston - All rights reserved. Route 59) through his development. Or, is the concentration in the neartown areas and the Heights (where I live) getting in the way? Ok, the interior might be awesome but what about the food? [citation needed] While the Galleria was unique in its strong focus on upscale retailers such as Neiman Marcus, Westwood was a more direct competitor to Sharpstown with anchor stores Joske's and Sears, which complemented Sharpstown's aforementioned anchors, and a closer location to rapidly growing Fort Bend County, home to a growing base of upper-middle class suburban shoppers. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. growth within an area. By February 1989, Sharpstown Mall was 97% occupied, making it the mall with the highest percentage of occupied space in the Houston area. I'm waiting, too. Beginning in 1979, construction of a second floor began (effectively doubling the mall's store count to over 200) and the mall was extensively renovated from its original 1950s appearance to better compete with Westwood Mall and the Galleria. They like to keep stuff spicy but there are some stuff that isn't spicy. WebWestwood Mall opened in 1975 with anchors Joske's and Sears, along with over 60 stores. The service from both our server and the bartender were also really good. Galleria is the seventh largest mall in the United States, with a gross leasable area of 2,400,838 square feet (223,045.1 m2), 400 stores, and a gross floor area of approximately 240,000 square feet. Amenities: (713) 777-5391 Visit Website Map & Directions 7500 Bellaire Blvd Ste 201Houston, TX 77036 Write I remember all that same stuff. Sam Wisialowski, president of the Y'alls Texas Store chain, stated that sales were declining annually by about 25 to 30 percent at its Sharpstown store when the chain decided to close said store in 1990. (You can imagine what we kids used to call it). Sharpstown's Gaylynn Theatre had more square footage in area per patron than any motion picture theatre in the world. The exterior was like brown rocks. I think Harwin strip had nothing to do with Sharpstown's downfall. I told her what we had done to Mr. Jackson when we graduated. KPRC 2s Amy Davis took a stop at her old stomping grounds, Greenspoint Mall in north Houston, during a Facebook Live Wednesday. WebMall Info. The intersection improvements are the first piece in a $33 million renovation of Bellaire Boulevard from U.S. 59 to Beltway 8 and Fondren from U.S. 59 to Westpark. SHS Class of '83. People also searched for these near Houston: What are people saying about restaurants near Houston, TX? 2. Westbury isn't any better, really, but it doesn't share the stigma of that name. Pittman said the intersection's new street lights, traffic signals, bus transit shelters and pavers will not be standard city structures, but custom items similar to those found in downtown and Uptown Cotswold projects. There is no way for people to bleed over to the Sharpstown area when they start looking at homes in other places. I told her she really frightened me as a child and she said, "How else do you think I kept all those kids in line?" There is a huge house that is way out of place on Willowbend just west of the railroad tracks about 1/2 a mile west of Stella Link. I see the "Conquistador." What was Sharpstown mall like before it was torn down? I shopped there for parts around early 2003 when they were in their final days there. Was it on the sidewalk near the temporary buildings on the Waldo side? A fourth anchor, Sears, was added in 1962. Another unique aspect of the mall within its corridors was the Clock of Texas diorama, an animated look at the history of Texas through the centuries. The place has changedand then againhas not.and that is good. We were the class that gave Principle Jackson a quarter with each hand shake. The neighborhoods are among some of the most beautiful in Houston (when you get off the main streets). Anyone remember that? The wonderfully overstuffedhuaraches at Huaraches La Villa are big enough to split. In 1998, JCPenney would close its store at Sharpstown, having lost much of its clientele to its First Colony store, with much of its remaining business going to its Meyerland Plaza store. They totally gutted Neff over the summer and took out all the windows and are replacing them. In 1996, First Colony Mall opened in the suburb of Sugar Land, which resulted in Sharpstown losing many of its national retailers and a core customer base in Fort Bend County that had long been critical to the mall's survival. She's still a little scary. The aforementioned crime issues also continued to take their toll on Sharpstown Center, as the crime rate in the area surrounding the mall increased in the late 1990s and early 2000s due to white flight and urban decay. You had to have had a permission slip from your parents in order to smoke there (not that anyone checked). But, since most of the homes were custom built there the housing stock just has a better quality fit & finish in the details than what they see in Sharpstown. HOUSTON Do you remember the last time you went to your nearby shopping mall? This sit-down restaurant tucked underneath the food court at PlazAmericas Mall offers a vast selection of Honduran favorites, from fluffy baleadas on the all-day breakfast menu to coconut milkbased conch soup and hearty platos tpicos, along with strong, inexpensive margaritas. I have a photo of the Clock of Texas. In 1999, the mall was sold to Simon Property Group. We used to eat at the Del Taco that's a sandwich shop now. My friends worked at His Place, Chick-fil-a, Foleys and the Oak Tree. Modernceo, Signs posted before the intersection indicate this. Cities occasionally need to make certain improvements to their infrastructures to help economic. I grew up close byit has always astounded me that an area this close to town has escaped redevelopmentit would seem that with all of the low rent apartments, etc. In 1922, the J.C. Nichols Company of Missouri constructed the first shopping mall known as the Country Club Plaza. The homes are of good quality and it has LOCATION.easy access to the rest of the world. Bought my first CD from Foleys! Chalk me up as another Sharpstown Mall Rat of the 80's. I still have some things I bought there and I have a T-whirt that I purchased there about 1 hour before a DEVO concert in 1982 at Cullen Auditorium at UH.Still have the ticket stub.
Csulb Staff Directory, Articles S